People making lists, buying special gifts…you know the rest, and are probably in the midst of weeding out who’s naughty or nice from your “presents” recipients as Christmas draws near. But what to give? There are myriad choices out there- with a boom of online and offline retailers that can make even the most savvy of shoppers’ head spin. Practical as far as this columnist is concerned is the new buzzword, so here’s a shortlist of gifts that are gender neutral and for any budget from frugal-yet thoughtful to splurge-and useful.
1) A watch with attitude. Oversize, or a slightly bigger than what you’re used to timepiece with either a standout bezel or strap can make a stylish statement without going over the top. Dutch brand MAX makes a whole range of sporty to dressy designs that would look good worn solo (big enough to look like a bracelet) like the Aviator (P 12,900) for a woman, or prepping up a day outfit with its brown leather strap and its 52mm steel bezel. For a more classic look with a slight twist (think, chunky time telling hands and numbers on a 42mm steel bezel) the Phantom in black or white (P 10,500) will be happily received by that special someone you’d gladly invest your time (and budget) on. MAX Watches available at Bratpack, Aloha Boardsports and Pormada.com. Check out
2) Look cool while keeping warm. Designer Rhett Eala has designed a number of chic cover-ups with delightful details that can easily be worn by a man or woman. Reasonably priced, from less than a thousand pesos to about three thousand, these are travel-friendly hoodies and jumpers that you can be tossed on or into your carry-on. Unisex-friendly, they come in a variety of sizes from XS to XL so you may even think of dressing your entire clan up for the ubiquitous family photo/Christmas card. Available at Nest, 40 Jupiter Street Bel Air 3, Makati. Tel nos. (02) 818-8811 and (02) 403-3062
3) No borders. For that avid traveler in your life, a lightweight and leather passport holder that can bear his or her initials (or even full-name) is an ideal gift to keep important documents within easy reach. S.C. Vizcarra creates several models in different kinds of natural leather, colors and sizes starting at a very reasonable P 500 each. For more information visit www.vizcarra1925.com or e-mail: email@example.com Tel. no (02) 854-67
4) The nose knows. Cadentia Nature Eau de Colognes are made in France and are perfect for an everyday refreshing scent-sational feeling. Not overpowering, with four variants (although the Naturelle and Intense are the most gender-neutral) they come in two sizes 250 ml (p 245) and 500 ml (P 345) If you’ve still got a kris kringle party to go to and have not found out who your “baby” is, then this could be your best gift bet. Cadentia colognes available at Rustan’s Supermarket, and online at www.seektheuniq.com/
5) Donate Nation. Really tight on budget this holiday season? Or perhaps the thought of shopping for something material not a palatable thought? There are many, many charitable organizations out there still accepting volunteers, goods (whether freshly bought or pre-owned) as well as making Christmas cards or token gifts that can be purchased with proceeds going to a certain cause. There is always a good reason to get down and get generous, and it’s not always based on the money you can dole out. Sometimes quality time with the people you love, or people who need some love is the best gift of all this year.
So, how are you going to play Santa this 2013?